Saturday, May 26, 2012

Officially Introducing Katara

I intended to write this post yesterday but instead decided to focus on my new beardie's arrival and actually getting work done and eventually celebrating a friend's birthday. Luckily, everything I felt yesterday is still fresh on my mind so not worried about forgetting too many details.

She was shipped via UPS Overnight Air which guarantees arrival before 10:30 AM. Believe the universe wanted me to suffer as much as possible as she wasn't at my door until 10:25 AM. That morning I had already prepared her salad and where she would bathe so I could quickly give her a nice soaking and then allow her to settle which I'm glad I did as she was, understandably, phased from her almost 24 hour journey so I kept the bath short and then brought her upstairs to her new abode where she positioned herself for a nice basking session.

I checked on her every half an hour or so and each time I entered the room she would glance over at me displaying no fear whatsoever. She also seemed fine with Fuego who, upon seeing another dragon, decided to become Mr. Macho Man with a display of black bearding, glass dancing, and head bobbing. She didn't buy into it for a moment. 

Once work wrapped, I brought her out for a longer bath. Despite her limited mobility, which is focused mostly on her legs and feet that don't have proper strength or muscle content, she wiggled around her container like a champ once she took a solid few gulps of water. She kept looking up at me during her bath (already moving into my heart) and finally I couldn't resist plucking her out and having a short hang out session on my bed where she readily lapped up her calcium supplement. Doesn't hurt that it's banana flavored.

Since she ate some of her salad, and all of her medicine, I decided that trying some live feeders may be worth the effort. I took out her super worms, that come to find out are nasty little buggers, and she promptly half rolled/half leaped off of her perch to devour them. She managed to eat five without any issue. Her old owner wasn't wrong; this girl loves eating.

At the moment, Katara sits in her tank watching me as I type. I just had her out with me for about an hour where we did a mini photo session and she explored as well as leaving me a nice gift on my comforter. I have a spare. In the short time she has been here she has illustrated how sweet, calm, and adorable she is and I can't believe she exudes these qualities after all the abuse she suffered. I feel lucky that she gets to spend the rest of her life here being cared for and adored upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment