Saturday, May 12, 2012

Freedom

Brought Fuego to the vet this morning (exactly what I wanted to be doing at 8:00 AM on a Saturday while dealing with sharp stomach pains) to have the bandage on his tail removed. He's had the bandage for a little over a week ever since he had surgery to remove 1/2 of his tail due to a condition called tail rot. While he didn't appear phased by the bandage, I wasn't able to bathe him while he had it and he is starting to shed so baths are even more important than usual. Side note, yes, dragons should be bathed to help with hydration (they absorb water through their vent) and aid in shedding.

Everyone at the animal hospital seemed thrilled to see Fuego (he's a bit of a celebrity there and their first dragon patient) and I was more thrilled when the bandage came off and his tail appeared to be healing perfectly and had even started to regenerate. Maybe even betters news, he gained 10 grams in the week since his last appointment! At some point I will have to post all of the "issues" Fuego came to me with but one was that he had stunted growth so I've been working diligently to put some weight on him so this is a fantastic sign. Planning to buy a digital scale to keep tracking his progress.

For being such a good patient, Fuego got a large helping of dubia roaches for breakfast and got to spend the day basking in some of his favorite spots. He even tolerated me taking his picture and gave me his cocked head stare as I aimed my camera at him...


He lost quite a few inches from his length from the surgery but he's still my adorable boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment