Monday, May 14, 2012

Craig's List Fury

I have a very bad habit of browsing the "Pet" section of Craig's List because, well, I'm a masochist and I enjoy seeing all these poor animals that need homes that I don't have the space to rescue. While partaking in this activity last night I ran across a posting for a 4 foot long corn snake with "everything needed" included. This "everything" included a 10 gallon tank and lights that the snake doesn't need at all and ones that probably disrupt proper sleep patterns. 

I emailed the poster and fairly nicely told them that a 20 gallon tank is the bare minimum for an adult corn snake and that I hope they told the new owner to upgrade the enclosure as keeping a snake that large in that small of a tank is bordering on cruelty. To say they didn't take my advice well is putting it lightly.

His response included threatening physical harm if I ever showed up at his house (let me mention that I never said anything remotely close to going to meet him) and accusing me of having no life/being a loser. While I'm certainly not the coolest kid on the block it only takes 2 minutes for me to shoot over an email so not sure why that qualifies me as not having a life. Anyway.

I did send another email back, well worded and very polite, telling him that threats are not appropriate and that animal cruelty is not something to take lightly. I am awaiting a curse filled response but also tried to talk him down on price as this poor girl deserves a proper enclosure and not a tiny tank with nothing to climb on and improper lighting.

I am such a bleeding heart for these creatures.


No comments:

Post a Comment