Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Run Around

This evening, I was supposed to be picking up five pictus (also known as panther) geckos from a woman whose ex-boyfriend had purchased the animals and left them behind. We had agreed on a time and she sent her address and phone number over and told me to let her know if for any reason I wasn't going to be able to get there when I promised. I assured her everything would be fine and that I'd see her at the decided time to pick up the geckos.

Once all of this was solidified, went about researching their care and preparing to separate them into smaller groups as five was too many for the one tank and I could almost guarantee there was at least one male in the bunch and having a bunch of bouncy baby pictus geckos wasn't my ideal foster situation. I even made arrangements with another rescue member for her to take in a pair as she was looking for gecko(s) to foster/adopt and it would take some of the strain off myself.

While nervous for my first rescues to be a species I didn't have experience with I learned they were similar to leopard geckos in care and had minimal requirements. I actually was getting excited about experiencing a new animal (as if I haven't had enough "firsts" lately) until I got an email from the woman saying someone else showed up and since she wasn't home her daughter gave them the geckos. She apologized, and I responded calmly, but now my nerves are on overdrive that some "stranger" took in these geckos when the woman herself couldn't identify them. I can only hope that the person has done/will do proper research and raise these guys well.

The sad truth of rescue is that there will always more more that need help so just need to believe that the universe didn't think these were the ones that need my assistance most urgently and that another animal will cross my path at some point that I can truly help.

Until that point, plan to get some supplies cheap to build an enclosure appropriate for leopard geckos or panther geckos just in case.


No comments:

Post a Comment