Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rescue Work

A few weeks ago while perusing one of the bearded dragon forums where I am a member I came across a post regarding a start-up reptile rescue looking for transporters and rescuers/foster homes. I responded to the post and got directed to their Facebook page where I realized what a passionate and wonderful group of people were involved so I jumped straight in.

I haven't done any transporting yet but have been searching Craig's Lists for reptiles in need of rescuing (it's sad the sheer volume that fall into this category) and have been assisting in assembling the group in working towards our goal of being a certified non-profit organization. Of course, I would love to be fostering but the group started as mainly a bearded dragon rescue and I knew that I didn't have the space or resources to foster one on top of Fuego with his recent surgery and Katara with the special care she needs for her MBD. Additionally, 40 gallon tanks take up a lot of space and my bedroom is only so large.

In comes Memphis. The rescue, titled Reptile Rescuers of the United States, realized that we couldn't focus on bearded dragons alone so have expanded to take in any reptiles we were equipped and able to help. I've decided I can offer my home to a crested or leopard gecko as their space, heat, and food requirements are very minimal in comparison to Fuego and Katara's demands as Memphis lives happily in a Kritter Keeper being misted twice a day and feed every other day. I am awaiting word if I'll be taking my first foster, a leopard gecko, shortly and of course will track its progress and journey to find its new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment