Saturday, May 19, 2012

Reptile Expo and an Inevitable Addition

This morning I went to the Massachusetts Reptile Expo which is an entirely volunteer run event. My first reason to go was to coo over all the animals, of course, but I also wanted to get some supplies and feeders for my new girl arriving Wednesday. My second goal was well accomplished as I got a well-priced UVB bulb, 100 superworms for $5, and got a nice basking platform that I now realize is probably a bit too small but it's perfectly sized for Fuego's tank so he gets to enjoy that the lucky boy.

Despite my best efforts, I also brought a new addition home, a baby Crested Gecko. From what I can tell he/she (too young to determine gender yet) is what they refer to as a Harlequin which is a term for his colors/markings. The poor babe is entirely stressed out at the moment, and who wouldn't be after being on bright display for several hours followed by a bumpy car ride and then finding yourself in a brand new environment, so I am giving him a few days before I begin handling. It's much more important that he/she feels safe and secure than for me to enjoy petting his suede-like skin. Put food in for him about an hour ago and hope he/she eats a little at least.

I also came across an absolutely gorgeous leatherback boy from Jungle Jewels Reptiles who I would have snatched in a moment if I had any further space for another baby but my new girl will need a dedicated amount of time so I made the reasonable choice and left him for someone else to snatch up. There were also a multitude of corn snakes but that must wait as well.

Already well aware I'll have a reptile room as soon as I own my own house.

No comments:

Post a Comment