Friday, June 15, 2012

(One of) My Dragon Hates Me

It's difficult owning an animal that really cannot stand you. Katara has been through a lot, more than I can imagine, and intended to spoil her rotten so she would realize how amazing her life is/going to be with me and shower me with dragon kisses and general affection. My plan started out well as she happily explored when I took her out of her tank but also made sure to scuttle over and investigate me and even take short breaks perched on the pillow besides me or even on my lap from time time.

Then came the vet visit.

Seeing the vet wasn't all that bad for her. She handles travel pretty well and didn't mind people picking her up and taking her picture. The problem came about a week afterwards when I got a call from them letting me know Katara had two different types of parasites and needed separate medications to treat them. One of the medicines she took fine (must have tasted OK) but the other she fought with all her will and underdeveloped muscles to try and not have to ingest which then forced me to force her into taking it.

Ever since she bats me with her front legs when I try to pet her, wiggles to get out of my hands when I pick her up, and spends all of her time out of her tank ignoring me. I know she's an animal but it honestly hurts a bit that what trust I had started to build with her disappeared entirely due to a medication.

Trying to keep faith that in time she'll "forgive and forget" and we can work on building a bond again.

No comments:

Post a Comment