Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quick Update on the Permanent Reptiles

Planning a rescue specific post tomorrow so thought I would do a brief entry tonight on my reptiles with pictures included.

Getting Memphis accustomed to handling and trying to make him less flighty is a slow process but baby steps are happening. Understandably, being as small as he is, getting him out of the security of his tank and onto my hand still usually results in mean gently chasing him around a bit until he accidentally jumps onto my palm. At this point, and during the entire out of tank time, he alternates between perching on my hand or arm licking his eyeballs or taking crazy leaps without truly assessing the distance of the object he hopes to reach. At least he's active, which is a good sign, and I am slowly picking up on the stance he takes as he prepares to propel himself so I can be ready to "catch" him before he does any damage.

Katara enjoys one of her medications and despises the other so it's a bit of a challenge trying to medicate her properly but am taking advice from people on forums I frequent and will continue to try new methods to trick her into accepting the non-tasty medication. I had read one of the medications causes a decrease in appetite but Katara challenged that today as she devoured her salad and left her bowl almost licked clean. Since I stayed home sick today, she got extended time outside of her tank and spent a good ten minutes glass dancing at the leopard gecko. He was in his hide though and didn't come out to watch the show. After that display, she finally let me pick her up without a fuss and she snuggled next to me on my bed and napped for a little while. She can be a pain but she sure knows how to turn on the cute when needed.

Fuego continues to thrive in his larger tank and I often see/hear him exploring which he almost never did in his original tank. The poor boy's head is in shed though so he's keeping the juvenile attitude going and refusing most cuddles and attempts at affection when I take him out. I understand it's a phase, and one that he will grow out of, but I can't wait for him to be an adult lug. I have a long way to go as he's still small for his age, though growing rapidly now, so I don't imagine he will get to his full size for another year or so. In the meantime, I will deal with the attitude knowing that it's hormones and he's just being a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment