Friday, June 8, 2012

Jabba the Rescued Dragon

I came across Jabba through a Craig's List post advertising a bearded dragon and cage for free. I reached out to the person and discovered that Jabba (formerly Drake) had been a gift from his girlfriend and since the relationship ended and he never much wanted a reptile anyway he decided it best to re-home him. He agreed to surrender him to the rescue and I picked him up Wednesday evening. Despite the slightly bumpy ride, Jabba remained fairly calm and didn't appear too stressed from his relocation as evidenced in this picture to the left that I took right when we got back to my place.

Jabba had been living in a tank about 1/2 the size needed on sand (considered a not great substrate as it can cause impaction and equates to living in a litterbox) being fed dehydrated veggies, pellets, and canned crickets. He was also lacking the proper type of UVB bulb and had no basking bulb to speak of so am actually surprised/happy with the decent condition he's in (except for the pudge factor). My dragons live like royalty though so he is now being fed live feeders (primarily roaches) twice a day, getting a fresh made salad every morning, and has been upgraded to a MUCH larger tank thanks to my amazing friend Katie (which, P.S., if you are looking for an amazing face painter/make-up artist, see her work here). Today, just waiting on his new UVB bulb to be delivered and he'll be all set until he goes to his forever home.

Already realize that parting with this guy is going to be difficult. He's adorable, personable, and honestly pretty hysterical as he enjoys jetting around my apartment despite his very large size. I need to keep in mind that if I want to continue rescue work that I can't keep every animal I take in as I will quickly run out of space, time, and resources. My boyfriend has already fallen for this dragon though so maybe, just maybe, he won't be too far away from me once he's found his permanent home.

No comments:

Post a Comment